Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Championship Grudge Match

My inner voice agreed with this article, which said that we would be better off if we listened to our inner voices more.

This is the story of my life! I think this is especially an issue with girls, who are taught to be nice, don't argue. Nothing wrong with that EXCEPT.....yikes. This presents a huge conflict, not to mention the propensity for dubious persons (and even not dubious persons) to take advantage of nice girls who smile pretty and don't know how to say no.

It's interesting how the article addresses finding the balance between being vocal and going too far, which is being aggressive. Again, an especially fine line for girls to find, who are too easily called the b-word and worse.

My challenge in life is to teach my daughter how to listen to her own good sense, practice polite manners, and yet also stand up for herself. It ain't easy being sugar and spice. I'm still learning this for myself...

No comments: