Monday, April 10, 2006

The Post Which Will Serve as a Reminder of How Badly I Needed to Stop Working and I Will Read When I'm at Home Headed Full Tilt Toward Obscurity

It was just one of those mornings. OC has trouble with transitions, so the whining commenced as soon as she woke up. How I wish I could've sat with her for longer than I did, rubbing her pajama'd back and telling her it was okay. But it was time to get ready to go.

There was some kind of traffic tie-up and it took almost an hour longer to get to work. For once, it was not my fault, but that's time that I'll need to make up nonetheless.

We parked, got our stuff and began to walk to school. We got as far as one block before I realized I had forgotten OC's lunch. It was lucky I noticed, laden as I was with our normal bags plus an umbrella. Back to the car!

Eventually, we got to school where we were met with screams from the other kids. OC is here! Try to compete with a screaming four-year old acting silly, it's tough. I managed to get her stuff put away and her breakfast out amidst the excitement. The good part was, in all that excitement it made it easier for me to leave, because she was occupied.

She keeps saying she doesn't like school. Why? The teachers are wonderful and enthusiastic, the space is large and has lots of room for their different play areas, there are always new projects and things to do. It turns out that there is one girl who drives OC nuts. She's a little different, this girl. I'm not quite sure what is going on with her, but she is developmentally behind. She's loud, fidgety, and has trouble settling down. She looks to OC for friendship, but also they are the only kids there near the same age. The other kids are much younger. During the Christmas show, I was about to go manhandle her away from OC, because she kept backing up and hitting OC with her body, and they were doing ballet. I realized how silly it was to get angry, but still, I was getting annoyed with it. This is what OC deals with on a daily basis. I don't blame her for not wanting to be there. She's not going to be there for much longer. At least there's that.

The weekend was over way too quickly. I went to a bridal shower on Saturday which was fun, but took the whole damn day. Good grief. I was a bit on the periphery of this group, which kind of felt weird but they were all so nice. I like the woman who it was for, and I have to say her family was so welcoming that it really helped get over the awkwardness of feeling a little out of place. And hell, the food was excellent! Plus, there's the M-E-D-I-C-A-T-I-O-N. Yes, indeedy.

Finally, this may give you a big clue as to my true nature: In preparing to open a package of Junior Mints and faced with the end of the box on which is printed, "Open Other End".....I do. To what purpose does this serve, to follow the rules to that end? That's a rhetorical question.

No comments: