Thursday, May 03, 2007

Notice Anything Different?

The new template came about because I accidentally deleted, in near entirety, the old template when I was making edits late last night. I learned a valuable lesson or two from all of this and now I will share them with you.

One, don't think that while editing in html mode that you've selected part of your template because you probably haven't. And two, that fancy preview button is not just there for looks, it can actually save your fanny if you make a mistake before you make your stupid mistake permanent by saving your changes. Dummy.

The change is good. I was getting very tired of the old blue 'n orange. I was holding out to switch to another format entirely, so I didn't want to go to the trouble to change my template. I don't know why, it's not hard to do. In the process I learned that you can recover your old template if you do a search for your blog name and title of a recent post. I tried that but couldn't find anything that used my template, only sites that changed it into their own (e.g. Bend Blogs) which is fine except for when you need a cached version of the old one that includes colors and links and all that crazy css.

*sigh*

And then I remembered how I used to keep a text document of my template with all my special color settings and super-special sidebar witticisms - not to mention a kajmillion links - saved in a location that, apparently, only God knows. I couldn't find it anywhere. Oh well, I made a new text document with the new template and it's on my desktop. The template is easy to replace, it's the links that take F-O-R-F-R-E-A-K-I-N-G-E-V-E-R. I only made it up to the m's so far, because I am a lazy slut.

I also learned that I can probably learn CSS faster than I first imagined. I also need to advance my html/javascript knowledge, which is, at the moment, pathetic. I haven't used it in nearly a YEAR, which technologically speaking means I know the equivalent of how to code Pong on a Commodore 64. Well, maybe it's not quite the same. Oh well, as Nelly Furtado would say, no hay igual.

Tomorrow we're hopping a private jet to sip champagne (read: small commercial prop plane which serves complimentary northwest microbrews) to Hong Kong (Seattle) to watch baseball (actually, yes) and shop (hell, yes!) and check out that new sculpture garden park by the waterfront I read about in a recent Sunset magazine, the one with the Alexander Calder sculpture(s). I can't remember if it was one sculpture or multiple, but who cares? It will be cool to see just one towering, geometric wonder.

Two trips within one month? I really am the Occidental Tourist.

5 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

This post totally tickled me. Not because you lost your template but because I feel your pain!!

I'm on my own url now and it is completely freaking me out to be "On my own". I suck at all things tech.

P.S.
That Pong comment? I peed a little. :)

Anonymous said...

Waahoo! I love Seattle. Enjoy the ball game and beer.

Love the new template despite all of the troubles.

Lady M said...

Tech troubles are no fun. This template is nice and bright though!

We're making summer plans that include more travel than we've done in a while. Have fun in Seattle!

Kristen said...

SOOO jealous about your trip to Seattle.

And if it makes you feel any better about your blog, change can be good sometimes.

Pendullum said...

Have a wonderful, wonderful trip...
and the new blog look looks good