Thursday, December 06, 2007

Rome Wasn't Built in a Day But I'd Like to Think So

I want things to change in a day. Once I make a decision, I want it to happen.

It's frustrating.

I'm talking about parenting. When OC comes home from school at 3:30, she's hungry and grouchy. I want things to be fun, but it's a struggle to get through eating a snack, cleaning up after, and doing chores. I'm the taskmaster, as usual. Soon enough, it's five o'clock and time to get dinner and a bath and on and on....

I realize that what's important is built slowly, daily, over a length of time. It's a longer length than I have the patience for. But this is a good thing. It gives me a chance to make tomorrow a better day. One bad afternoon doesn't cancel out all the work that's been done. Nor does one good day stand alone for the rest of our lives. Damn it.


Loralee Choate said...

I suck at this aspect of parenting. It's usually not due to being a task master, but wanting to do stuff that I want to do instead of BEING a task master.


Melissa said...

Yeah, me too. Sometimes the tedium of it is enough to make you forget the big picture. Try and hang in there, though. A good day has to be coming your way. :)

Nicole said...

I totally relate. I only work until 3 so I can spend the afternoon with my son. But usually it ends up being a mad dash to bedtime, even though it seems like there should be plenty of time for a little fun too.

I guess most of that fun time gets used up during our daily argument about hand-washing (and other annoying tasks).

take care out there mommies.

Carrie said...

Being a parent just never stops being hard work, does it? My son is only (almost) 4 months old, and I'm already realizing that. I'm sure you're doing a great job, though, even on the days it doesnt seem like it. It sounds like you're doing a great job in your blog, at least! :)