Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Snowy Day

As I walked along the snow-covered sidewalk, I noticed another set of footprints had been left before mine: feline.

Yes, walking. You know what that means, right? If you said, "You're walking because after you took your daughter to school you walked to the library to use the internet because you still don't have it at home," you would be absolutely correct.

Internet Connection Gods, what did I do to make you mad at me? Qwest sent me a kit, I hooked it up according to the directions, but it's not working. I have a feeling it's the phone line.

Our house was built in 1945. Sometimes lights work, sometimes they don't. Actually, the light in the hall is the only one that's sketchy. I don't have a regular phone, so I can't plug it in to test and see if the line is even on or if anything comes out of there. What am I expecting to come out of there? Oh, I don't know, email? That would be nice. I called up the automated technical support because that is all that is left to do, but was informed that they were experiencing a significant call volume and that my wait time would be fifteen hundred and one thousand years, and that they appreciated my business. I hung up. I am so alone without the internet. Somebody come and visit me! Please!

Anyway. The library is nice. There are many computers and it is within six block of home so it's an easy walk. I feel so much pressure to produce while I'm here, though, what with the one hour limit. The only thing I will say about being here is that it's awkward because I notice that I tend to talk out loud to the computer screen as I read or type things. It is more obvious when you are in a public place, and a little embarrassing at times. Note to self: stop talking to computer screens in public. Check.

Speaking of which, I have to go read your blogs and check email now. I only have one hour! Bye bye.

3 comments:

Amy said...

For us it was the phone. We could not get a phone for love or money. It took four weeks. FOUR. Hope your 'net gets fixed soon.


You sound calm and centered. Glad to see it!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. My house was built in 1964 and I'll just say the electrical standards were a little different then.

Sending good internet vibes your way!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!