Friday, August 03, 2007

Another Fabulous Weekend Escape

Newsflash: I'm travelling. Again. It seems like this summer has been a whirlwind of tourism for the Occidental Tourist. I don't know why I switched to using the third person, but, okay here's the thing: The Occidental Tourist doesn't like using the third person. Switching back now.

The reason for yet another travel adventure is because it is that time of year again: girl's weekend. Myself and four girlfriends from high school (we're not going to talk about how long we've been out of high school...but if you must know, 15 years) get together once a year to party and pick up new husbands. Ha! No, the new husband thing was only me, and just that one time. What is it about karaoke bars and classic cars?? That sounds worse than it was.

You might remember my pictures from last year. No? Well, I have both parts one and two here and right here in case you missed it. It was fun.

In my absence my mother in law will be here to visit. The three of them plan to go fishing in the Cascades, and bike ride. My daughter rode her bike for the first time without training wheels earlier this week. We were so excited. She needs more practice but that's what summer is for.

I will miss them and you SO MUCH! Nevermind. I will take consolation in shopping at the outlet mall, walking on the Oregon coast, spending time talking non-stop with very good friends, and really good food.

The other thing I'm excited about is this: high temperatures are expected to be 60. Sixty! The reason this excites me is that I've been in 90+ degree temperatures for weeks now. Break out the long sleeves and eschew sunscreen. I may have that silkscreened onto a t-shirt. Here is that foolproof forecast:



As I write this, I hear the news going over and over the story of the bridge collapse in Minnesota. It's horrifying to imagine, people trapped in the water or killed while driving over a bridge in America. I hope the death toll doesn't rise, but it probably will. I'm sorry for those families affected, for it's truly sad. I really don't know what to say except that spending money on boring stuff like infrastructure upkeep is not exciting, but it is necessary. I hope something good comes out of it.

Surprisingly, Charlie Gibson from ABC mentioned the book The Bridge of San Luis Rey, by Thornton Wilder, which is exactly what I thought of when this happened. The book tells the story of a bridge collapse and the story of the five random persons who were killed. It goes to the question of what is the purpose of life? Is it really random? Or is there a plan, even to include horrible events like this? How can a plan include bad things? Why? It's good reading, and good food for thought. Check it out and tell me what you think.

No comments: