Monday, February 13, 2006

In Which Evoked are Musical Reprisals from Fiddler on the Roof

Over the weekend we decided to use a gift certificate we received as a wedding present to a local restaurant. (Well duh it was local: What were we going to do, hop on our private jet and go somewhere non-local for dinner, like we were Richard Gere and Julia Roberts?)

So yeah, the restaurant was local. Now that that's cleared up, let me also say it was fabulous. I had a scallop and shrimp peanut curry, with peppers and basil; OH had a mexican shrimp thing that was spicey and creamy. We had some good cocktails, good conversation, and it was fun because we were all dressed up. We were going to try and get tickets for the Opera (which is so Pretty Woman, except for important differences like the one where I am not a prostitute), figuring that we could get some cheap balcony seats, but there weren't any double seats available. We ended up going to the symphony.

Going to the symphony for Valentine's Day has become our tradition. For our first Valentine's Day, we took a little trip. OH made the arrangements secretly so when he picked me up from work Friday afternoon I didn't know where we were going or how we were going to get there.

It turned out to be Seattle! By train! In the Billiard Room! Whoops, I got carried away there. We got delayed in Portland so we passed the time in the Union Station bar driking wine while listening to a very soulful singer. It was quite a fun way to pass the time. I think I called a few of my friends after I got drunk, too. I'm sure they appreciated that.

When we got to Seattle, we checked into a suite where OH had made sure to have a beautiful bouquet of flowers waiting. It was so romantic, I couldn't believe it.The next day we walked around downtown, and OH got to see Pike Place Market for the first time. We had lunch in a little deli, watched the fish throwing, browsed the shops including a bookstore where we planned our next vacation, and enjoyed the waterfront and views of Elliot Bay. We happened into a a jewelry store, where I received my first piece of jewelry: a blue-green opal pendant.

That night, we went out to dinner at an Italian restaurant. After dinner OH asked me to wait inside the doors while he went out to the curb around the corner. He motioned for me to join him, and waiting for us was a horse-drawn carriage to take us to the symphony. I was absolutely blown away! He had made all these arrangements ahead of time, I had no idea about any of it. It was one wonderful surprise after another.

We enjoyed a really great evening hearing an elaborate piano piece, and Brahm's 3rd symphony. The energy from all that planning really got to OH, as he dozed a bit...

All I have for photographic evidence are crappy disposable camera prints of us in the carriage. I'll have to dig them up and post them. I think I am way overdue to post pictures.

For the actual Valentine's Day that has landed on a weekday these past few years, we will be going out for pizza and beer. This is also a tradition.

Last year, we went to a restaurant without a reservation. Boy, was that dumb! We left because there was only going to be an hour and a half wait, and went to the Lucky Labrador for pizza and beer. It was a really good dinner. Now we have our traditional fancy dinner date on the weekend complete with a trip to the symphony, and our equally traditional pizza and beer date on the weekday.

Tradition! That which makes beer and pizza meaningful.

No comments: